Monday, November 19, 2012

The Decision to be Happy

One morning I was listening to the Mormon Channel. Yes I'm a Mormon and I love being one. This particular broadcast was highlighting early pioneer poets from the Latter day Saints. This one lady had married young and later faced some financial difficulty with her husband and family. He had married to a second wife without her permission and spent most of his time with the new wife while the first (This woman) was taking care of the children. They hit a really rough spot financially and the husband with his second wife was going through it with a lot of pessimism and woe is me-ism. She was optimistically and faithfully moving forward. He asked her how she could be so upbeat and she explained to him that she could either bemoan her woes or move forward in faith. So she decided to move forward in faith and that's what she was doing.
She decided how she would react to her troubles.

How have I been deciding to react? Not very well according to the standards I've set for myself. I would do better. Then what is stopping me? Lack of faith. Lack of prayer. Lack of the word of God in my mind and heart. Lack of the Spirit. In other words the only thing that is stopping me is sin. I am without God. And that is what stops me. Damns me.

What do I do? Pray, take into me the word of God, seek the Spirit, return to God. Repent.
So simple the way! Yet how few actually take the way because it is so easy. Look to God and live. So simple the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment