Saturday, April 12, 2014

Day 1: Reaching Out

While in the darkness it's easy to sit and stay. Just be quiet and be miserable.
It won't bother anyone else and that's good, right?
That's when it needs to happen. Realization that friends and family DO want to be bothered. They DO want to hear how you are doing. They DO want to help.
So you've got to raise your voice, speak up, and reach out.
For me it started with replying to texts.
"I'm not doing well"
"Things aren't going so well"
Then accepting invitations to make cinnamon rolls, go on walks. It also helped me find motivation when I discovered that one of the actresses from the series Doctor Who will be appearing at Comic Con in Salt Lake city next weekend. Something to get excited about.
I think the last part of reaching out for me was scheduling an appointment with a doctor.
That appointment happened today and I came away with a two month prescription of Lexapro, an anti-depressant.
For so long I've stigmatized myself against depending on a drug to make me feel better. But with family history fraught with depression I decided it was time to try it out, at least until I'm out of the hole well enough to get my head back on straight.
1 pill, every night before going to bed.
I'm feeling anxious about it. I understand it will take a while for it to have much noticeable effect.
We'll see how things go and I'll keep you updated.
In other news.
I saw God's hand in my life today.
The girls standing outside of the student center offering free hugs to stressed out students (it's finals).
A friend with time to spare and a willingness to care.
Beautiful paintings on exhibit at the Museum of Art on BYU campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment