Monday, August 26, 2013

Days 1-2?

Aug 25
As we are getting ready to land in Amman I consider what I'm bringing with me.
What little faith I've left myself with coming into this adventure, the one suit case, laptop, the yellow pants and a tweed blazer (In the desert?!) What will I take home from this foreign land? What new perspectives? Strengths? Weaknesses? Experiences? What I bring home is up to me, that's my responsibility.

Aug 25 Night
Flying over the Mediterranean to see the shore of the holy land was fantastic! Tel Aviv, Israel with all the ,struggles, contention and so on. Tonight we ventured to the Mukhtar mall down the road for groceries, food and general exploration. The streets are busy, men are out in the cafes watching soccer and smoking.
Finding the food court at the mall took us upwards 4 floors and it seemed almost like an american mall besides everyone being brown, the men are smoking and no one is speaking english. I ordered a chicken sandwich from Crispy Chicken while my buddy Daniel got a mexi pizza from another burger joint. I tried chatting with the young guy standing out front of the counter and he talked really quiet, that or I've just got bad hearing. He asked if I was from Turkey and when I said America he started telling me a few things about vacationing I think. After sharing a meal I decided to wander around the food court and found some gelato. The guy selling it was actually Egyptian, at LAST! I know this dialect. We chatted for a short time in between his making coffee. I admit that this coffee smelled great and looked smooth and delicious.
Then on to the grocery store a couple floors down.

Aug 26 Afternoon

Trying to stay awake, it's 6:30 in the morning back in Utah. Even though I got a solid nights sleep last night. Funny story. Back in the states I've made this mistake twice of buying conditioner because it was cheaper than shampoo only to realize when I get home that it wasn't shampoo. Back at the mall last night? Same mistake, different language and different coutnry.
Today's adventure included a bus ride around Amman and a stop at the best shwarma I've ever had. The most I've accomplished in a matter of the language is a bit of small talk here and there with locals. Today I met Yad in front of the shwarma stand. He looked like he worked for the government. I guess we're halfway through the day and the rest of today will be spent getting some go-phones, some pots and pans, and maybe review some Arabic. And it looks like the rest of my apartment is ready to get out of here.... I think some of us are a bit stir crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment