Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Learning to Crawl

Apparently we sometimes get injured and said complication doesn't decide to surface as an issue until some months later.
Such was the case with my right leg.
Last August I was hiking with my good friend Micah. Our goal: Pioneer Peak. A 6,400 ft peak sitting prominently in our home valley. One sunny weekday we woke early and tackled the mountain. 4-5 hours up there came a blustery wind that threatened to blow us off the ridge. It was cold and discouraging. We decided the best decision was to go back down and try another day. It didn't take long before my expert hiking friend decided to jog down the mountain. Now, we have bears in Alaska and as native Alaskans we try to be conscious of this. As he ran down I did my best to keep up so I wasn't separated and more vulnerable. 2 hours later we are down at the bottom, shaky and exhausted. My right leg began to cramp and tighten up. I decided to do nothing about it and went on my merry way. 6 months later and here I am, sitting on my couch in a funny position, trying not to aggravate the nerves and muscles in my right leg.
For no apparent reason it decided that Monday was the day to let me know how much it hated what I've done to it. It seems that plans have been made between my leg, lower back, and even my hips. All employed in debilitating me and preventing me from doing a whole lot of anything.
Oh I went to the doctor that very day. A sports doctor who worked on my leg last semester when it gave me trouble after work outs. He welcomed me to the torture chamber and massaged it a bit, stuck me with some needles and even worked on stretching out my hip. This took place in about 45 minutes. Tuesday morning found me hobbling to class and by mid afternoon I was throwing in the towel. My good friend Christina picked me up from campus and amid clenching, cringing, and crying, I made my way to my apartment couch where I laid in wait for my home teacher/friends/anyone to come and give me a blessing.
I slept a couple hours last night but not until 6 in the morning. Most of the time has been spent lying on the living room floor finding new ways in which my leg hates to be situated.
But, I went to my friend Veda, a massage therapist. Licensed too! She worked and worked on me for about an hour and a half this evening. And I walked. I walked home.
Mind you I've been lying on my back for almost 24 hours (except the occasional slow crawl to the bathroom.) Right now I'm evening sitting.
It still hurts. My leg still hates me, my lower back as even joined the argument. But that's OK. I have another appointment with Veda on Friday and things will get better. I will dance again.

On another note.
I made a duct tape rose for Rachel and apparently I got her favorite colors right :) I asked her if she'd stick with me for Valentine's Day. She said yes. We'll find out what that all means when it comes I guess.

Here's to you world. Thank you God for giving me hope.

2 comments:

  1. Hope your leg gets feeling better soon. You're just not the Chis I know if you're not up dancing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Walked Home?! D: you said you could find a ride! I could have driven you back if the only other option was for you to walk! :( my car's groaning at me, but it's not dead (yet)! :(
    though, valentine's day should be fun- she's also a premie, isn't she? I hope you two have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete