Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Helping the Despondent and Poor

It is sad to see those who are left to beg on the streets for their support. Such a scene was never typical of my home town in Palmer Alaska but as I've traveled outside to the lower 48 and to Mexico it becomes more apparent. There are people without homes and without food who need help. Granted I've learned that some have put themselves in this unhappy situation because of poor choices and some even use it to exploit the generous. When walking around Temple Square and downtown Salt Lake it's difficult to avoid the beggars. I even asked friends as to what I should do. Some are asking for money and most advertise simply for help. But to those who refuse anything but money I hesitate. Then I found one way in which I can help these people when they will accept my help.
This last Sunday I was driving back into Provo from visiting a friend's mission farewell. Coming down Center st. there are a few people who strategically place themselves in the high traffic area and solicit help from passersby in cars. As I pulled up to a stop light near one man who looked terribly depressed and just miserable I wanted to help him. I had maybe a couple bucks in my wallet and thought of what he might spend that money on. Then I remembered the bag of home made chicken spaghetti I had left in my back seat from lunch. Rolling down my window I offered the food and he gracious accepted it saying, "God bless you brother."
If I keep food, even just a little, this is something I can offer to those who beg without worry. I hope that God bless my efforts so that these people will improve their lives and eventually pull out of their poverty.

 Doctrine and Covenants 42:30 And behold, thou wilt remember the apoor, and bconsecrate of thy properties for their csupport that which thou hast to impart unto them, with a covenant and a deed which cannot be broken.



No comments:

Post a Comment